2006 – Present: Managing Partner, Greehan, Taves, & Pandak
2000 – 2006: Partner, Walton & Adams
1988 – 2006: Assistant County Attorney, Land Use, Fairfax County
1986 – 1988: Associate, Clayton & Wilcox
Randy Greehan has over 30 years of experience representing and advising local governments on zoning, planning, land development and real estate valuation matters. While his practice includes handling complex litigation at the trial and appellate court levels, he also handles administrative appeals involving state and local matters. Randy also has extensive experience assisting localities in drafting zoning, subdivision, comprehensive plan and other land use-related ordinances and policies. He has represented and advised localities regarding rezonings/zoning amendments (text and map, upzonings and downzonings, and proffers), condemnations, federal claims (equal protection, due process, FHA, FOIA, and §1983), notice and advertising requirements, public facility and utility siting and extensions, special exceptions and permits, subdivisions and site plans, variances, and zoning enforcement matters and real estate tax challenges.
Appointments and Teaching
- Citizens Planning and Education Assoc. of Virginia: presenter, firm sponsor
- CLE International: instructor
- Local Government Attorneys Association: presenter
- National Business Institute: instructor
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA): instructor
- Virginia State Bar, Professionalism Course: faculty
Reported Appellate Decisions
- Gas Mart Corp. v. Bd. of Supervisors, 269 Va. 334, 611 S.E.2d 340 (2005) (comprehensive zoning amendments; notice and advertising).
- Braddock, L.C. v. Bd. of Supervisors, 268 Va. 420, 601 S.E. 2d 552 (2004) (rezoning; standing)
- Glazebrook v. Bd. of Supervisors, 266 Va. 550, 587 S.E.2d 589 (2003) (comprehensive zoning amendments; notice and advertising).
- Wolfe v. Bd. of Zoning Appeals, 260 Va. 7, 532 S.E.2d 621 (2000) (zoning violation appeal and enforcement).
- Bd. of Supervisors v. Washington D.C. SMSA L.P., 258 Va. 558, 522 S.E.2d 876 (1999) (monopole siting on VDOT property).
- Fairfax County v. Miller & Smith, Inc., 242 Va. 382, 410 S.E.2d 648 (1991) (rezoning adjacent to Metro Rail location)